Dear UNGIWG Members and Partners,
Task Groups and UNSDI
Until 2010, UNGIWG identified two major headings under which its voluntary activities were carried out via its Working Groups: Data and Services. At that time there were six Working Groups (WG).
WGs were comprised of interested experts and practitioners from UNGIWG member organisations. WG members chose their Group Leaders.They held meetings as necessary and reported on their accomplishments at annual UNGIWG plenary meetings.
Archived pages of the 5 Working Groups up until 2010 can be reached from the following links:
- Core Geo-Database
- Remote Sensing
- Interoperable Services
- GIS Map Production Guidelines
- Global Navigation Satellite Systems
At the Seventh Plenary meeting, it was decided to merge the previous Working Group 1 (International and administrative boundaries) and Working Group 2 (Core Geo-Database), highly related and complementary at different levels and scales, into one single Working Group named "Core Geo-Database". The Working Groups are comprised of experts and practitioners from organisations with an interest in the subject area. The work is coordinated by a group leader and task group meetings or teleconferences are held when necessary.
At UNGIWG-10 in Bonn, Germany, under the Co-chairmanship of UNOOSA and ECA, UNGIWG decided to abolish the Working Group structure. Special Interest Groups (SIG) and Task Groups replaced the Working Groups. Task Groups are ad hoc teams convened to undertake a time-bound activity with well-defined results. SIGs are tightly aligned with the specific mandates of certain UNGIWG member organizations. Thus, the first and so far the only SIG established is the Staff Safety and Security (SSS) SIG headed by the UN Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) in New York.
Since 2010 the following UNGIWG Task Teams have been established:
- TG10: Task Group in charge of UNGIWG-10 (accomplished)
- TGC: Task Group in charge of standing up the Center of Excellence for UNSDI (ongoing)
- TGG: Task Group on UNSDI Governance (ongoing) TGM: Task Group on OGC membership (accomplished)
- TGR+20: Task Group on Rio+20 (ongoing)
- TGJ: Task Group on Geospatial Information Technology Career Path development and Job Classifications (ongoing)
- TGL: Task Group on licenses (ongoing)
- TGD: Task Group on disaster data preparedness (inactive)